Hi! I’m Shifrah (pronounced Shee-fruh, and we just won’t even get into the last name) and I’m a Mommy, doing.
The name See Mommy Doing comes from a phrase my daughter used to say when she was about two. I would be sewing or cooking or folding laundry or insert-anything and she would tip on her little toes and crane her little neck and weasel her little way onto my lap and say, “See… Mommy… doing?”
The name has come to mean so much more. I don’t “do it all,” but like all moms, I do a lot of things. I’m deeply convinced that motherhood was meant to be a communal endeavor, that we need each other’s experiences and stories and support, a space to commiserate and rejoice and learn, to just talk about things, things ranging from, as one lovely Southern mother assured me in her Charlestonian drawl, “The baby’s not sleeping at night” to “Why won’t my marigolds bloom???” My hope for this site is to promote the dialogue, to give you a window into what I’ve found helps me and pass that on to you, another Mommy (or person!), doing.
29 Things About Me
- I was born in Jerusalem; hence, the name.
- I thought that everyone sneezed when they chewed minty gum. Nope. Just me. And my sister.
- People think my sister and I are twins.
- I’m getting addicted to Project Life.
- I won a poison control poster contest when I was ten. I didn’t know it then, of course, but that was the beginning of my copywriting career.
- Afghan hounds creep me out. They look too much like humans.
- So grateful for this Bible (you can get your own, FREE).
- I’m a fourth-generation San Franciscan (I grew up there), and I miss it.
- I’m not a morning person but I want to be.
- I salivate at the mere thought of Pizza Hut pizza from Target.
- I dream about going on a trip to Italy with Dear.
- My husband and I call each other Dear, exclusively. Without exception.
- I get a little jealous of people about to give birth.
- I’m a die-hard introvert.
- I back-packed in the Ansel Adams wildnerness for a week and I unabashedly bring this up when I need to prove I can be outdoorsy or “tough.” Most of the time, I love not camping.
- I get really, really sad when I think of my children growing up and leaving the house. (See number 4.)
- Coffee: morning and afternoon, no sugar.
- I incorporated ya’ll into my vocabulary when I moved to the South.
- I always need some kind of project or creative outlet, and they range from embroidery to wielding power tools for reupholstery.
- I love a good deal, and I’m completely unashamed to get a price adjustment, etc.
- I gush about and read-aloud from and pore over a good poem or piece of writing, just like any self-respecting English major does.
- I went back to school to get a Master’s in Speech Pathology. It’s going to take forever. I’m okay with that.
- I hate the term “best friend” because I have several and saying “one of my best friends” is just totally lame. My mom is my best friend.
- I’ve flunked Calculus twice.
- I’m a grammar snob. And I want to revive this blog.
- I don’t mind doing laundry, I don’t really mind folding it, but putting it away, ugghhhh.
- I’m very affected by my surroundings, especially by the amount of sunlight and the state of cleanliness and order.
- I don’t hate it or anything, but I could survive without ice cream (although this one was quite good). This is not true of the entire rest of my family, including all my in-laws.
- Go Bears!