We had a blast blueberry picking last week. The lady of the farm also sells the BEST ice cream, and I had to try and replicate it when I got home, especially since my sweet mother-in-law recently brought us the ice cream maker they used when her boys were young. It turned out delicious, but not quite what I was going for. Round two was perfect. The recipe is below. You’ve got to try it. And then I’m sure you’ll be on a homemade blueberry ice cream kick like we are.
Boil blueberries and sugar.
Don’t muzzle the ox.
- 2 cups blueberries
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup half and half
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Bring blueberries, sugar, and salt to a boil in a small pot, mashing the blueberries with a wooden spoon.
- Boil them until the sugar is melted and the blueberries have disintegrated a good amount, about 5-10 minutes.
- Pour blueberries into a blender and add half and half, cream, and vanilla.
- Blend, keeping a watch on how far the blueberry skin has been blended. I like some small specks of skin left in the mixture.
- Cool the mixture overnight in the fridge.
- Follow ice cream maker instructions, transfer to an airtight container, and put in freezer to harden.